Home Inspection Overview
What to Expect the Day of Your Home Inspection
Buying a home is a big decision and is one of the largest financial decisions you will make in your life. The purpose of the inspection is to report the general condition of the home and identify major defects and deficiencies of the inspected systems and components that exist at the time of the inspection.
To help ease some of the stress and anxiety we have laid out what to expect before, during, and after your home inspection with A&M Home Inspection.
Before the Home Inspection
· We will need some of your information
Inspection Property Address
Your realtors name and Email Address
Scheduling – In most cases we will have 5-10 days to complete the home inspection after the Purchase agreement is signed.
Give us a date (or two) that would work for you.
We will schedule the appointment and send you a confirmation email or text. Based on your schedule, we will send you a time of when we need you at the property for the walk-through of the inspection findings. We handle everything with the realtors and the sellers on confirming the times. Don’t stress about that part!
During the Home Inspection
· We will give you a time to show up to the inspection. Feel free to come earlier if you would like!
· A Single-Family home inspection takes between 3-4 hours to compete. A townhouse inspection typically lasts 2.5-3 hours. The walk-through to go over the findings takes around 30 minutes. We will give you all the time you need to ask as many questions as you want!
· We will have you sign this home inspection agreement. Please read and review before coming to the home inspection. You do not need to print this out, it will be provided.
This is an Agreement between A&M Home Inspection LLC., and the undersigned Client, pertaining to our inspection of the Property at: ___________________________________________________________________________. The terms below govern this Agreement.
1. The fee for our inspection is $__________, payable at a time [before / after] the appointment.
2. We will perform a visual inspection of the home/building and provide you with a written report identifying the defects that we (1) observed and (2) deemed material. The report is only supplementary to the seller’s disclosure.
3. The purpose of the inspection is to report the general condition of the home and identify and disclose major defects and deficiencies of the inspected systems and components which existed at the time of the inspection and which are evident to the inspector upon ordinary visual observation. Minor and cosmetic defects may be listed in the report for maintenance purposes but it is not the intent, nor will the inspection report identify and list all minor and cosmetic defects. The inspection is intended to evaluate systems and components of the primary premises. The client is encouraged to accompany the inspector during the inspection. The inspection and report are performed and prepared for the sole, confidential and exclusive use and possession of the client(s). The inspection report is not transferable. Systems and components to be inspected include: exposed and visible foundations and structures, exteriors, roofing, plumbing, electrical, attic, interiors, bathrooms and kitchen, basement and crawlspaces, heating and central air conditioning, and garage or carport. The inspection is limited to the readily accessible and visible systems, equipment and components of the home. The inspector will not dismantle and/or move equipment, systems, furniture, appliances, floor coverings, finished or fastened surfaces or components, personal property or other items to conduct this inspection or otherwise to expose concealed or inaccessible conditions. The inspection will not include destructive testing of any kind.
4. Unless otherwise indicated in writing, we will NOT test for the presence of radon, a harmful gas. Unless otherwise indicated in writing, we will not test for mold. Unless otherwise indicated in writing, we will not test for compliance with applicable building codes or for the presence of or for any potential dangers arising from the presence of asbestos, lead paint, soil contamination, or other environmental hazards or violations. If any structure you want us to inspect is a log structure or includes log construction, you understand that such structures have unique characteristics that may make it impossible for us to inspect and evaluate them. Therefore, the scope of our inspection will not include decay of the interior of logs in log walls, log foundations or roofs, or similar defects.
5. Our inspection and report are for your use only. You give us permission to discuss our observations with real estate agents, owners, repair persons, or other interested parties. You will be the sole owner of the report and all rights to it. We are not responsible for use or misinterpretation by third parties, and third parties who rely on it in any way do so at their own risk and release us (including employees and business entities) from any liability whatsoever. If you or any person acting on your behalf provide the report to a third party who then sues you and/or us, you release us from any liability and agree to pay our costs and legal fees in defending any action naming us. Our inspection and report are in no way a guarantee or warranty, express or implied, regarding the future use, operability, habitability or suitability of the home/building or its components. We disclaim all warranties, express or implied, to the fullest extent allowed by law.
6. We assume no liability for the cost of repair or replacement of unreported defects, either current or arising in the future. In all cases, our liability is limited to liquidated damages in an amount not greater than the fee you paid us. You waive any claim for consequential, exemplary, special or incidental damages or for the loss of the use of the home/building. You acknowledge that this liquidated damages is not a penalty, but that we intend it to: (i) reflect the fact that actual damages may be difficult or impractical to ascertain; (ii) allocate risk between us; and (iii) enable us to perform the inspection for the agreed-upon fee.
7. We do not perform engineering, architectural, plumbing, or any other job function requiring an occupational license in the jurisdiction where the property is located. If we hold a valid occupational license, we may inform you of this and you may hire us to perform additional functions. Any agreement for such additional services shall be in a separate writing.
8. If you believe you have a claim against us, you agree to provide us with the following: (1) written notification of your claim within seven days of discovery in sufficient detail and with sufficient supporting documents that we can evaluate it; and (2) immediate access to the premises. Failure to comply with these conditions releases us from liability.
9. You agree that the exclusive venue for any litigation arising out of this Agreement shall be in the county where we have our principal place of business. If you fail to prove any claim against us, you agree to pay all our legal costs, expenses and attorney’s fees incurred in defending that claim.
10. If a court declares any provision of this Agreement invalid, the remaining provisions remain in effect. This Agreement represents our entire agreement; there are no terms other than those set forth herein. All prior discussions are merged into this Agreement. No statement or promise by us shall be binding unless reduced to writing and signed by one of our authorized officers. Any modification of this Agreement must be in writing and signed by you and by one of our authorized officers. This Agreement shall be binding upon and enforceable by the parties and their heirs, executors, administrators, successors and assignees. You will have no cause of action against us after 3 months from the date of the inspection. Past-due fees for your inspection shall accrue interest at 8% per year. You agree to pay all costs and attorney’s fees we incur in collecting the fees owed to us. If the Client is a corporation, LLC, or similar entity, you personally guarantee payment of the fee.
11. If a court finds any term of this Agreement ambiguous or requiring judicial interpretation, the court shall not construe that term against us by reason of the rule that any ambiguity in a document is construed against the party drafting it. You had the opportunity to consult qualified counsel before signing this.
12. If there is more than one Client, you are signing on behalf of all of them, and you represent that you are authorized to do so.
13. If you would like a large print version of this Agreement before signing it, you may request one by emailing us.
14. HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT: CLIENT agrees to hold any and all real estate agents involved in the purchase of the property to be inspected harmless and keep them exonerated from all loss, damage, liability or expense occasioned or claimed by reasons of acts or neglects of the INSPECTOR or his employees or visitors or of independent contractors engaged or paid by INSPECTOR for the purpose of inspecting the subject home.
I HAVE CAREFULLY READ THIS AGREEMENT. I AGREE TO IT AND ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIVING A COPY OF IT. ___________________________________________________________
After the Home Inspection
· After the walk-through, the inspection report will be emailed to you and your realtor.
· The inspection report contains pictures and descriptions of the issues.
· This is not the last time you get to hear from us! We are a resource to help you and your real-estate agent through the closing process. We are here to answer any questions you or your agent have.
· If you choose to do a radon test (All real-estate transactions in Minnesota should have a radon test conducted), you and your agent will receive the results 2 days after the test has been started (Any tests completed on Sunday, results will be back Monday morning). Sometimes we can get the test setup two days before the home inspection, which allows you to get all the results back the same day as the home inspection.
· Invoices are sent to your email address and can be paid online or in person. All major credit and debit cards are accepted. Checks are also accepted.
We Are a Resource For You To Help You Through the Process!